Sunday, March 1, 2009

Gluten Free Cornmeal Raspberry Scone


Back over the summer, I was inspired to do some experimentation in the kitchen. Actually, I had been experimenting all weekend with various creations. I'll share the other creations later. For several days, I was obsessed with the thought of a raspberry cornmeal scone. I have had them before in traditional bakeries, and they are so yummy good. I have read about gluten free cooking, and know that it is not so easy. Up for the challenge, I decided to make gluten free raspberry cornmeal scones. My way of cooking is too never measure anything, but with baking, you can have disappointments with not measuring your ingredients. Well, in my true form, I didn't measure anything, and just went with the look and feel of the consistency of the dough. I have say, it came out pretty damn good. I do have improvements to make, because I am the perfectionist. I glad they were worthy to enjoy along with sipping my morning coffee rather than ending up in the compost bin.Here's the loose recipe. I'll have to take measurements next time.


1 egg
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1-1/4 cup milk
(whisk together the above ingredients)
1 to 1-1/2 cups sweet sorghum flour
1/8 - 1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/8 - 1/4 cup rice flour
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
(mix the next set of ingredients with the dough attachment on the kitchenaid mixer)
1 - 1 &1/4 cup coarse corn meal
(mix in cornmeal last)
fold in raspberries so not to crush the berries.
Plop small handful size of dough onto heated / oiled stoneware pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes - until golden brown.

Enjoy.

I did discover that this is best served when it is still warm from the oven. I tried one the next day, and the consistancy changed when it was cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment